Welcome to the Bittersweet Farms employment area. Our organization values development, partnership, respect, safety, and reliability. If these values are similar to your own, we may have the right job opportunity for you! We are looking for motivated, mature individuals who are interested in working in a uniquely challenging--yet extremely rewarding--position. While it may be advantageous, it is not necessary to have direct experience serving individuals with autism. Interested candidates should, however, already possess the work ethic and compassion required for this type of environment. Year-round outdoor and physical activity is an important part of our philosophy. Applicants should be able to lift 50 lbs. and hike up to five miles. We invite you to check our website frequently, as job openings are posted as they become available. To apply for a position, please complete our application for employment.
Direct Support Professionals (All Locations)
Bittersweet is seeking employees to work as Direct Support Professionals to help enrich lives and make a difference while providing you with a valuable work experience. Direct Support Professionals teach, mentor and positively impact the lives of individuals with disabilities through skills development in horticulture, culinary activities, janitorial work, our creative art department, and much more!
Come join our participants in their daily activities ranging from vocational and educational training, home care, community activities, recreation, and a wide range of other activities and adventures.
- 1st shift with on-call responsibilities
- Part Time (16-24 hours/week)
- Location/Department:Whitehouse, Pemberville and Lima (as needed)
Requirements: Must be knowledgeable of and have hands on experience in both preventative and corrective maintenance in the areas of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, drywall and general building repair. Responsibilities include snow removal, painting, upkeep of the pool, ability to operate power tools and motorized equipment with implements. Working conditions may include confined spaces, high places, inclement weather and must be able to lift up to 80 lbs.
Intervention Specialist - Pemberville Location
Bittersweet is seeking a full time Intervention Specialist for transition aged youth with Autism Spectrum Disorders woring in our Pemberville, OH school to facilitate instruction specific to cogniative, executive functioning, and pragmatix language deficits associated with ASDs. The work includes the use of evidence based assessment and intervention practices in the prevention, assessment, intervention, and program design efforts that are integrated within a school.
Additional responsibilities for the position include:
- Ensure student safety and appropriate collaboration and attention to each student’s readiness to learn including needed guidance, discipline, and welfare Lead program teams across the organization, optimizing performance through effective mentoring, direction, and training.
- Teach students skills necessary to help prepare them for the adult world and utilize the time of transition to maximize the individual student potential.
- Guide the Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) process for all assigned students, coordinating annual and semi-annual IEP meetings and developing draft IEPs and transition plans.
- Act as school, community and parent liaison and ambassador for Bittersweet’s Pemberville Transition Program and promote goodwill amongst all involved parties.
- Collaborate on functional assessments related to student’s educational, vocational and life skills and abilities.
- Assess student’s social needs (e.g. behavioral, executive functioning, communication, etc.) and academic needs (e.g. developmental level, vocational abilities, etc.) for the purpose of evaluating students, placement recommendations and success of the program.
The right candidate will need strong organizational, analytical, communication and problem solving skills, with an ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively in order to succeed. Qualified candidates will possess technical competence in the areas of program development and implementation, behavioral support planning and delivery, structured skill teaching and supports, and outcome evaluation. Experience with Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD), funding mechanisms, and Ohio Department of Education (ODE) is preferred. Three to five years of experience working with individuals with autism and/or developmental disabilities required. Bachelor’s Degree with current Ohio license as an intervention specialist required – moderate to severe specialization or experience is preferred.
Day Program Staffing Manager
Bittersweet Farms, a world-renowned leader in serving adults and adolescents with autism located in Whitehouse, Ohio, is seeking a Day Program Staffing Manager to work to foster relationships with participants and staff by upholding dignity, respect and kindness. The Day Program Staffing Manager will work to recognize the unique qualities and needs of each individual with autism and address those needs appropriately.
A successful candidate will work to recognize the unique qualities and needs of each individual with autism and address those needs appropriately. The Day Program Manager is in direct supervision of up to 30 Direct Support Professionals in addition to the general supervision of the Day Program.
- Previous experience supporting individuals with developmental disabilities highly desired
- Requires exceptional oral communication and organizational skills
- Computer knowledge of Microsoft Suite, Data Plus, Care Tracker and DODD MSS
- Ability to facilitate a positive team approach
- Must have a valid driver’s license and the eligibility to be insured.
- Must possess a high degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Must possess skills and ability to work with a diverse population and develop positive relationships with individuals, staff, individuals from other organizations and any other persons related to the clients
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in experience
- Must pass criminal background requirements of position
- Must have one to three years of Direct Support Professional is required.
- Supervisory experience required.